Support in hospital
Our Hospital Palliative Care Team
We’re able to support the care of people facing life-limiting illness in hospital through our Hospital Palliative Care Team, a group of specialist palliative care doctors, nurses and other professionals. Our team provide this service across the Oxford University Hospitals.
We become involved in your care when the medical and nursing teams looking after you in hospital refer you to us, and we work alongside the ward teams in an advisory capacity. We will visit you on the ward and carry out an assessment of how your illness is affecting you, and we suggest ways to improve problems you may be experiencing. If you would like us to, we can also talk with your family members, friends and carers.
Following our assessment, we will discuss our advice with the ward team looking after you. The hospital ward medical and nursing team will continue to lead and coordinate your care.
The hospital palliative care team can:
- Help with physical symptoms to make you as comfortable as possible.
- Offer emotional and practical support to you and those close to you.
- Discuss any concerns you may have about your illness.
- Liaise with other people involved in your care, such as your GP and District Nurse.
- Tell you about other palliative care services that may be available to you now or in the future.
For more information, please visit the Oxford University Hospitals palliative care page.