Several hours per week
Sobell House provides palliative care support to around 3,000 patients and families each year. The Sobell House Bereavement Service provides bereavement support to adults whose relative or friend was cared for by the Sobell House team, both at the Hospice and in the wider community.
We are now looking for empathic and generous volunteers to join our bereavement team and provide a non-judgemental, confidential space for people to talk about whatever it is they need to.
We are looking for people from all walks of life and all parts of Oxfordshire. There is no need to have had any previous training or experience of this kind of work. We are seeking those who:
- Have an interest in supporting bereaved people.
- Have several hours per week to give to supporting people directly (currently by phone).
- Can commit to our full training programme which initially consists of two long weekends and several evenings.
- Can regularly commit to one evening meeting (virtually or at Sobell House) x8 per year.
- Can commit to attending supervision for up to 2 hours per month with a professional supervisor.
- Have the use of a mobile phone and a laptop/PC to facilitate remote meetings and further training as required.
- Have a driving licence and use of a car in order to be able to travel to see people in their homes (once this is permitted).
The interview and selection process is in two parts. The first is the application process for a place on the training course, which is planned to start in late September 2021 on Zoom. During the latter stages of the training itself, there will be a second meeting to discuss whether the trainee continues on to become a Bereavement Support Worker. The training requires attendance at two full weekends and several evening sessions over a period of one month.
If you are interested in applying or have any questions, please do get in touch by email – [email protected] – or leave a message on our office number, 01865 225878. We can then arrange to speak with you and give you more information. Please note that applications close on Thursday 3rd June.